- Cappadocia owes its fascinating landforms to the lava erupted by 3 volcanic mountains. The names of these volcanic mountains are Erciyes, Hasan Mountain, Melendiz Mountain.
- The formation of the Cappadocia region dates back to 60 million years ago, and human settlement dates back to the paleolithic age.
- Cappadocia means “a land of beautiful horses” in Persian.
- The history of the region can be traced back to 5000 years. It has hosted many civilizations such as Assyrians, Hittites, Phrygians, Persians, Romans and Turkish tribes since 1072.
- Cappadocia has become one of the first preferred places for film shooting with its natural formations which have an out of this worldly looks. Numerous movies, documentaries and series have been shot in Cappadocia since 1940.
- Geographical events formed the Fairy Chimneys and people. People of Cappadocia from the past and the present carved houses and churches into these fairy chimneys and decorated them with frescoes and carried the traces of thousands of years of civilization to the present day. Cappadocia is a mecca for the people who like to follow the trail of history with these steps!
- It is known that one of the most interesting cultural riches of the Cappadocia region are the underground settlements. These underground cities are in various sizes. There are around 150-200 underground cities in Cappadocia. Visiting Cappadocia and skipping these underground settlements would be a great mistake!
- Some underground cities are even large enough to accommodate 30,000 people. By the way smaller underground settlement maybe can be called ‘underground villages’. Since the Cappadocia Region has frequently been subjected to various attacks in the past, the purpose of the underground cities is to provide temporary shelter to the people during these attacks.
- ‘’Fairy Chimney’’ natural land formations of Cappadocia took the 5th place in the list named “New 25 Wonders of the World” published in the British Times. *
- A French traveler traveled to Cappadocia at the end of the 1800s and wrote a travel book, describing what he saw by drawing pictures. When he first published this travel book, people in France did not take it seriously and decided that he was dreaming. Eventually, the mentioned book had become the best-selling Cappadocia book in France. For Cappadocian beauties that are incredibly interesting and hard to imagine, I think we should not be angry with the people in France.
Tour Guide in Cappadocia
This list is just a fraction of the facts on Cappadocia. I will be happy to host you and tell you more interesting and boring facts about Cappadocia in person 🥱
Contact me to learn more and to book a professional licensed Turkish tour guide in Cappadocia. See you soon, Hasan Gülday.