Where is the House of Virgin Mary?
It takes about ten minutes of driving from Ephesus Ancient City to the House of the Virgin Mary. House is about twenty minutes away from Selcuk town, thirty minutes away from Kusadasi and one hour away from Izmir. These times can vary depending on the season and how crowded it is on the day of the mass.
When do they hold the mass at the House of Virgin Mary?
There are several types of events and masses taking place in the House of the Virgin Mary. There is a mass every day. Taking place at 17.15 (November to March) and at 18.15 (April to October). Weekly mass takes place, as expected, on Sunday at 10:30. You can join for rosary prayers if you come thirty minutes before the mass times.
You also can join special events organized at the House of the Virgin Mary. Most commonly organized events are;
- Mass for Mary, Mother of God on the first of January every year.
- Mass of Christmas Day on the 25th of December every year.
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the 15th of August every year.
- Feast of Saint John the Evangelist on the 25th and 26th of every year.
- Saint Patrick’s Day Mass on the 17th of March every year.
- Mass of the Resurrection on the 21st of April every year.
Transport to the House of Virgin Mary
There is no public transport heading to the house. You can book a tour, a transfer van or a taxi to reach the house. Walking from Ephesus’ upper gate to the house of the Virgin Mary is possible but please keep in mind that walking will be uphill and above one hour.
You can always contact your professional licensed Turkish tour guide to learn more about the House of Virgin Mary in Ephesus. Please write to me as soon as possible before your arrival if you want me to arrange a seat for you in the masses or in the special events taking place at the House of the Virgin Mary. I hope we will tour in this highly spiritual place with you. See you soon, Hasan Gülday.